Monday, May 3, 2010

My backyard path in 2010

Ok so I put in a garden path last year to break up the boring all grass backyard.
When it was done I didn't like it. I liked the shape and the stones but I didn't like how the stones wobbled and I didn't like how the rock filler just went everywhere instead of staying between the stones.
Well after carefully considering it all winter I think I know what I did wrong. I skipped the sand base. With a sand base the stones get seated in place and won't wobble around when you walk on them.
Unfortunately to do this I have to dig the path even deeper than it was before.
Talk about a job!
So, out came all the stones, the dirt, sand and crushed rock filler.
I pulled up the landscape fabric (that was worthless the weeds grew right through it).
And I began the slow and painful process of digging the path 2-3 inches deeper that it already was!

No comments: