Monday, May 21, 2012

Increments...

My son Bobby gave me this tip when it comes to running & gaining the ability to increase miles. Think in increments. Back when I started I was worried about increasing from my beginning running routine of 1-2 miles to 3 miles. The run group was meeting and each week was progressing to more and more miles. Bobby said to think of it as adding 14 minutes to your run routine. (I had been running at about 14 minutes a mile at that time.) Each time you are going to add another mile (or whatever length you are adding) think of it in terms of how many more minutes it will take.
There… not quite so bad now is it?

It’s been a few months now and I still use the increments strategy to help me overcome a can’t-do attitude into a can-do success. For example, I’ll set my water bottle down in a spot along the loop trail and as I pass it the first time I’ll tell myself I need to run the entire loop again and get a drink on the next lap. It feels so accomplished to set a goal (even a tiny one like a single lap) and then accomplish it!

Group Running
Off topic but still relevant, group running is another good idea when it comes to follow through on your fitness or running goals. I am not a club "joiner" by nature but when my son. Bobby told me he was starting a run group for beginners or injury recovery runners (through the Tri-Club) I decided to try it!
Running with a group really does motivate one to actually get out there and run. You don't want to let anyone down, you have committed to this group/running partner etc. so it is a great method of holding one accountable.
Try it and see!
http://www.yubasuttertriclub.com/


No comments: