Saturday, October 27, 2012

What Can I Do?

I voted by mail last week.
I have been thinking a lot about the presidency and America's president and I wonder why there is such a backlash against President Obama.
The country was in turmoil before he took office and has been for years. President Obama didn't cause the nation to be in the state it is in. The president has had a job for the past 4 years and that job has been to oversee the country in the best possible manner he could. The president inherited a trillion dollar tax deficit. The president inherited the war. The president inherited the jobless rate.
President Obama has done the best job he could for 4 years and I am appalled that the people of the USA don't stand behind our leader.
Sure, some mistakes have been made. Who doesn't make mistakes?
The president has advisors and members of Congress who guide him on all matters. It is not one man that decides things in the White House.
I believe that if this nation wants to get better then this nation will have to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and make it better. Not just for yourself or myself, or my family or your own family.
But for all the people, your neighbor across the street, your out of work friend, the school children in your district.
Back before everyone became so "me" focused there were gatherings and socials and yes church events where neighbors met and socialized with each other. The men got together to help build the neighbor's barn and the women got together to sew quilts and you know what? They didn't charge their neighbor for the barn building or the quilts!
They gave them generously with nothing expected in return.
But they did get something anyway. Usually they got tangible items like hens raised from the barn or homemade jams from the kitchen. But I think they got a lot more. I think they also got the satisfaction of helping their neighbor or the stranger living near them and therefore helping their community, and therefore helping their country.
Where does it start? I believe it starts with me.

What can you do?
Turn off the TV!
The Zombies are here alright they're sitting on your couches every day and night watching that stupid flat screen in your living room!
Turn it off and take a walk, a hike or a bike ride. Take the kids to the park. Oh, and on your way carry a trash bag and pick up the trash along the way.
Things aren't going so good for you right now?
Get out into the community and see for yourself that there are people worse off than you.
Whatever you have to offer is better than they had before.
Become a society that cares for each other instead of just our selves. To do that takes action on everyone's part.

Be proud of yourself and be proud of our country by making yourself and the nation a better place to be.

No comments: