Thursday, April 21, 2011

MOM UPDATE!

As of today at 1pm my Mom appears to be ON THE MEND!
My Mom has had a hell of a month!
April 1st she was found unconscious in bed by the paramedics in Hawthorne, NV. She is taken to the hospital there and they call me asking about her health directive. I am worried but I have to take my car into the shop before I attempt to drive over.
On Tuesday the 5th I am finally able to make the trip over. I am disturbed by what the hospital staff is telling me over the phone and just as disturbed by what is going on with Mom once I get there. I immediately tell her doctors that as soon as I am able to arrange for her a place in Calif. my Mom will be coming with me. I leave the next day but return the following week with a location in California secured.
Mom and I drive the 250 miles back to Yuba City and although she is quiet I know she is worried about how all this will all work out.
Mom is frail and weak and needs food, physical therapy and lots of attention to thrive once again.
Mom seems to be adjusting ok, a little better and "more with it" as each day passes. Then on Saturday the 16th of April Mom has a fall in the care home.
It was not any one's fault, Mom had been getting around on her own moving around in her own room just fine but for some reason she just fell.
The ambulance was called and she went to Rideout hosp. I spent the rest of the day with her there and when they sent her back to YC saying nothing was broken and there was no head injury I hoped they were right.
Sunday I went to visit early and she seemed her old self! Later  Janna, Jim & I went back that afternoon with a plate of homemade food. She ate heartily and I was sure she was going to be just fine.
Monday morning I got a call from the care home. Mom was having seizures!
I rushed to the hospital and stayed with her for the rest of the day and into the night while the hospital sorted out what they felt was going on with Mom. I don't believe they know for sure even now but Mom has been put on anti-seizures medication and is not having any more seizures.
Mom has been really groggy and out of it since Monday and the staff told me she would be that way until they adjust her medication to suit her.
I am happy to report that today when I went in at lunchtime she was sitting up in a wheelchair and a nurse was feeding her lunch!
Mom was alert and taking in everything around her. I had brought yogurt for us to eat and when I told her I had strawberry yogurt Mom's eyes lit up!
She ate the entire container!

No comments: