Saturday, July 3, 2010

My UGLY art

I thought at this point it was pretty not ugly.
Yeah, this is going to turn out all right.

It seemed like a good idea at the time...


All systems go!



Hmmmm...


Not quite what I envisioned.
First off, for some reason, I thought "charcoal" would be lighter.
Well duh! charcoal briquets?
I tried re-wetting the piece to loosen the grout and redo it but once its in
its in for good.
Anyway I will take this one to the farthest reaches of the backyard and
maybe a meteor will fall on it someday!





4 comments:

CorgiGirl said...

I don't think this ugly at all. Because you have terra cotta colored tiles in the design, it works.
It is just different than what you are used to seeing.
Yvette
www.mosaicsandcorgis.com

Jacqui (Jax to my friends) said...

Solana a beginner always seems to have their gaps (intercties)too wide, this is why you feel it does not work. If you keep your gaps between pieces of tile approx 2-3mm the work will have more harmony..lesson learnt here..the next one you will like a whole lot more..keep on havin fun.
Cheers
Jacqui

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Jacqui, if you had put your tesserea closer together I am sure you would have been happier with it. That is the biggest problem my beginner students have, they leave their gaps to wide then they are not happy once they grout.
I don't think your piece is ugly at all, after you look at it for awhile it will grow on you. It just isn't what you expected. Each new mosaic will be more to your expectations though even after 10+ years I have one now and then that when finished I wonder what I was thinking LOL. Put this one in a place of honor in your garden, your friends will be amazed at what you have created.
Deborah

DaraLynn said...

Bless your heart, you sound just like me! I'm SO critical of my own work that it's a wonder I ever bother to create anything at all. Each piece of artwork is like unto one of our children. We want each to be perfect upon its completion. That's just not going to be the case sometimes or because we know its particular faults we can't see past them to the beauty we so lovingly created. Case in point, a damselfly I finished a couple of days ago. His wings are wrong in more ways than one but I didn't give up on him. Now he's one of my most beautiful works and my favorite stepping stone so far. See him here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27614853@N03/4747640356/ and I, too, blogged about him here: http://daralynn78620.blogspot.com/

Bear in mind, we're human; we're fallible so forget perfection and focus on the love. Besides, many times, we're creating all that wonderful art out of broken things. How cool is that?