Monday, April 5, 2010

So sad

So I was pulling into the bank parking lot today and I see an older gentleman on the ground kind of halfway in the planter and halfway out and he is shaking. As I pass him to park my car his eyes lock with mine and he has this sad helpless look.
I park and walk over to him, kneel down and put my hand on his back and ask him if he is ok.
He says, "seizure".
I stay with him and just kind of pat his back while I ask him if he is on any medicine, if he is walking... As I ask him these things I am assessing that he is not drunk, dirty or smelly at all. He is seizing just as he says. He tells me it will be over in a minute. He felt dizzy all day and he knew he was probably going to have one.
He had a bag of Chinese food that he fell on and it's all smashed and leaking.
Finally it stopped and he was able to sit up. I asked him if he would like some water and he poked through his backpack until he found a bottle. He also had a cardboard sign that said, "Will work for food".
I asked him if he would be ok and he said he would.
I helped him to his feet and off he wandered.
I'll always remember those helpless looking eyes.

No comments: