Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Mom

Dear Mom,

I am so lucky to have you for my Mom. You always tried to make our lives the best you could. I remember making cookies with faces in the kitchen at Orange Ave. I remember, "I have eyes in the back of my head." (I use that one sometimes myself)
When I was really young I remember being a handful for you. I remember snitching $ out of your purse to go buy candy, going in the vacant lot where you told me NOT TO GO and being carried home by a strange man because I sprained my ankle(s) and couldn't walk. I don't remember the punishment for this one but I remember soaking my feet in Epsom salts. I remember getting my mouth washed out with soap because I called my brother a s**t head coming home from CHURCH! I remember I loved to smell your sweaters because of the Jergens lotion you always wore. I remember you reading The Night Before Christmas to us on Christmas Eve. I remember getting my hair curled and sleeping on hard plastic pink rollers to have curly hair the next day at school. I remember when I learned to tie my shoes your dear friend (I can't remember her name...) gave me an eraser with an angel on it to commemorate the occasion.
I don't remember the circumstances about going to Leslie and Jacque's home but I do remember that as soon as you could, you retrieved Mike and I from Jacque and did your best with the two of us and yet (as teenagers) we gave you a lot of grief.
I can't recall any disagreements we ever had but I can recall many, many happy times making pizza, going to Disneyland (I don't remember going as a child but as adults we have FUN!), playing Scrabble & Crazy Eights, visits with the kids (and now) the grandkids! Of course there are many more memories and experiences that I will always treasure.

That's the thing about you Mom,
you always, always did your best. I know that and I respect that about you and I always will.

Love, (bunches & bunches) Daughter

No comments: