Sunday, January 9, 2011

41 Degrees

That was the temperature reading in my car after I left my party on Saturday. My hands were numb, my fingers were an unnatural shade of red, my nose was running and I couldn't feel my feet...that's right they held the party OUTDOORS in JANUARY in NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!

You want a penguin balloon?

The children didn't seemed bothered by it much although, when I jokingly commented to choose a balloon, "before I thaw out" instead of the braying of laughter I expected, a little girl about 8 sitting on the ground waiting patiently told me her knees were frozen too.
No sympathy there folks.
I suppose I've been colder but I can't remember when. Usually when one gets cold they take steps to get warm, ie: put on a coat, blanket, heater etc.
There was no reprieve on this day. For 1 hour I joked and made balloons while my fingers and toes ceased to have any feeling.
Oh, and let me explain what happens to balloons that are inflated with air in the freezing cold...
They do this funny little thing where they shrink as they are being inflated. Very difficult to explain but as fast as I could make the balloons, I'd write the child's name on them and stuff them down into a bag so that they did not witness what would inevitably happen to their balloon.
It would shrink and shrivel before their eyes.
I am sorry to the family in Northern California, but unfortunately that is what happens when you hold a party outdoors in 41 degree weather!

No comments: