Monday, January 24, 2011

Pedometer Experiment

My Mom sent me a pedometer a while back.

This is one of those devices that calculates how many steps you walk, the miles you tally and calories you burn. When I tried to set it, it didn't work and I was curious so I bought a new battery for it and tried it out this weekend.

Today was a very busy day.
After calculating my steps verses stride bla, bla, bla I think I got the pedometer set up correctly and clipped it to my waistband.
I then walked a few blocks to the gas station and back to get gas in the gas can and then mowed my good sized front lawn. I checked the pedometer at about 12:30 or 1:00 pm (I don't remember exactly) and at that point I had walked 1.53 miles and the calories burned read 150.
I checked the pedometer again at 3:00 pm or so and the pedometer had reset itself somehow. It's pretty easy to see how, there are buttons and I guess I must have bent over and somehow reset the thing...
So at that point I think I was at 100 steps and 0 miles and 13 calories or some such thing. Basically starting over at 3:00 pm.
I was busy from that time until 5:30 pm today 2.5 hrs doing the following:
*Drove to the hardware store to get supplies for grouting, paving, re-stocking the birdfeeder and potting soil.
*Loaded all these supplies...paving stones are HEAVY!
However, the pedometer does not track anything but steps so the calories burned for this activity and much of the following work was not calculated on the pedometer.
*Home again and unloaded all these things and began to dig up the area where the paving stones will go.
Again the pedometer does not record the physical activity only the steps one takes.
*Finished digging and laying the paving stones and other various activities (cleaning out the bird feeder, sweeping the garage, pruning the verbena, cleaned the office).
At the end of the day...(as of 5:30 pm) a total of 1.024 miles...wtf?
and 113 calories burned.
OK so allowing for the time I didn't realize the pedometer had reset and keep in mind it only counts the steps taken, I am estimating I burned at least 500 calories today...

Right?

Thanks Mom!

No comments: