Thursday, August 5, 2010

Did I get taken?

Two little old ladies told me these are antiques belonging to their "grandma".
Anyone know anything about this type of glass?

1 comment:

DaraLynn said...

The bowl on the left is definitely carnival glass and it's likely a reproduction. Those sweet little old ladies were probably piranhas dressed up in Dr. Scholl's. So, unless you paid a pretty penny for either item, I doubt you got "taken" on them though. Not to be completely cynical, it's entirely possible they didn't know the true value. Hard to believe in this day and age but still possible for the older generation. I'm going to attach a link and you can browse around at your leisure. http://www.ddoty.com/

My advice - research, check with an expert on carnival glass and have no expectations other than you got some beautiful glassware for your home. If it's reproduction, then you haven't invested much in it. If it turns out to be original, then you stumbled across some real treasures - the glassware AND those little old ladies.

In another life, I had an antique business with my then-husband in the late 80's and early 90's; Steamer Trunk Antiques in Dallas. I still love carnival glass and oil lamps.